This is my Colette Aster. I decided to do the sew-a-long even though I am not a button up shirt wearing girl. I only have one that is huge and I use it as a light jacket. Otherwise I don’t feel they are flattering on me. That said, I wanted to make this shirt and so I did.
I had some struggles getting this done and likely would have stuck it at the bottom of the to-do pile if not for the sew-a-long. I made a muslin in a size 12 and it seemed a little large so I made a 10 with an FBA. I did the FBA (full bust adjustment) and also lengthened the front and back bodice. I made a muslin and it turned out really well. I decided to do version 2 and actually had to redo the FBA for the correct version. I then made the shirt and the bust was huge and very pointy. I picked out the stitches and tried so many different ways to make the darts look less obvious. Nothing was working. I even tried gathering the dart fabric but there was still way too much fabric over the bust. I ended up undoing the side seams, laying the size 10 pattern piece over the bodice and I recut it it without the FBA. I still have some issues with the darts but this worked much better. The FBA is still a mystery to me. With a DDD bust I surely need the FBA but it hasn’t worked for me yet. One day I will figure out what I am doing wrong.
I wanted my shoulder pleats to be perfect. I remembered when I went to school a hundred years ago we were taught to baste all the pleat lines to get them perfect. It takes a little extra time but I felt more confident when it came time to sew the pleats down.
You still need to sew a straight line. ha! I may have had to un-pick one tuck and do it over but in the end I was happy with how they turned out.
I used vintage bias tape for the neckline and decided to hem it the same way. I also used vintage mother of pearl buttons from my stash to finish it off.
I’m glad I made the long sleeved version since fall is approaching rather quickly. It was even cool enough to photograph this and not break a sweat even though it is mid August.
I’m glad I stuck with it because I think it turned out pretty cute!